Search Our Blog
26 Jan 2018
Food Trends for 2018
Do you feel like you’ve eaten enough cauliflower rice, and courgetti, fed up with avocado on toast, and can’t think of any new ways to use coconut oil? Feel like you might scream if you see kale one more time! Then read on for the hot new food trends predicted for 2018 – what will you hate/love?
- It is likely that plant based eating and veganism will grow in popularity. You can expect that more café’s and restaurants will pick up on this trend making it easier to dine out and eat whilst out and about.
- Fermented foods will likely grow in popularity as further studies are carried out on the gut microbiome and the effects it has on obesity. And the knowledge of the importance of probiotics trickles into the mainstream.
- Edible Flowers started as a trend in 2017 and it is likely to continue in 2018, supermarkets are partly responsible by selling edible flowers for use in cake decorating or for salads etc. But you can also expect floral flavours to appear elsewhere, like in cocktails, teas, soft drinks and more…
- For those that like protein drinks a new selection of ‘super powders’ to add to them are likely to prove popular from raw cacao, ground turmeric, maca root and matcha.
- Middle Eastern Foods and spices should appear more – like cardamom, harissa and za’atar. Filipino dishes may replace our love of Thai. Poke Bowls from Hawaii (essentially sushi shaped like a bowl) should also prove popular.
- We’ve been eating popcorn for a good few years now, but in 2018 snacks are about to get even more popped and puffed.
According to Waitrose: 2018 will see carbs and comfort foods back on the menu, as well as a need for a fourth meal of the day to fit in with our busy lifestyles. They think the trend for shopping little and often will continue with a one trolley shop per week being a thing of the past. They believe that plant based proteins will be in high demand: pulses, shoots, grains, soy, algae and seeds. Many of the trends that Waitrose predicted came true for 2017, so you never know!Tweet